Dungeons of Chaos is a retro-style 2D RPG that takes you on an epic journey with numerous spells, skills and tactical combat to employ in order to win the battle against evil. Huge locations to explore (both unique and randomised). Totally ad-free. >20000 sold so far for both major OS together, and 4.8 star rating and a very engaged fanbase on our facebook page, where I discuss frequent updates and additions.
Favourite fan quote to date (Kristian Borcheck): "If you were a fan of Ultima 3,4,5 or games of that ilk then this game will feel like coming home"
See overwhelming iOS reviews here:
Quotes on the original version:
"Deeply immersive and a whole lot of fun, Dungeons of Chaos belongs on the iPad of any self-respecting 1980s role-playing fan." - iRumorsnow
"If Avernum and Ultima 4ish had a genius baby, this would be it." - Aldinach
"The little guy who made this game made a gem. [...] It's very fun and deep. Creating characters is the bomb. It's great!" -- anabolicMike
- retro-style RolePlayingGame (RPG) in the spirit of old classics
- vast locations to explore in a top-down 2D tile-based view
- many different character classes, spells and skills to employ. Guilds can give access to advanced classes
- rewarding quests to fulfil
- atmospheric music, and detailed lighting and line-of-sight visual mechanics
- non-linear content and exploration: many locations exist outside the main storyline, with unique monsters and treasure and secrets
- some locations are fully randomised and different each time you play (procedural content generation). Some are randomised and re-settable. And there are over 30 fixed locations supporting the main storyline.
- many rare item properties make for over 5,000,000 combinations that let your armour, weapons and accessories take on powerful bonuses
- defeat many different monsters with unique abilities and challenges. level up your characters and upgrade their abilities.
- find important NPCs to expand your skill sets, find magic books to boost your spell knowledge and improve your equipment by trading your bounty with various shop owners
- intricate fight mechanics: flanking or being flanked makes an encounter change from being easy to being dangerous, and vice versa; using the right boost/support/attack spells and skills will prove vital for survival
- control a party of 6 characters, which you can generate using 9 starter classes and unique character features
- try out different classes, experience different randomised locations, find different equipment, for great replay value
- various difficulty levels. Higher difficulty yields better loot but also much tougher enemies and game mechanics
DETAILED GAME MECHANICS, TACTICS and HINTS are available at the support website https://dungeonsofchaos.wordpress.com.
Some gameplay videos:
Dungeons of Chaos is designed to work on as many devices as possible and back to iOS6. Issues DO arise on very old devices with low memory (RAM of 256MB or less), such as iPad2 or iPad Mini or iPhone 4S and 5C if the latter run iOS 8 or 9. The game works fine on iPhone 5S,6,6S,6Plus and on newer iPads like iPadAir 1 or 2, or iPad3.
For any problems or suggestions we would love to hear from you at: [email protected] .
- introduces a HOLD ITEM function in shops. For a 10% fee, they will make sure an item stays in their stock until you buy it. If you want to hold a different item in the same store, you forfeit the previous fee and hold on that item. Fee paid does not count towards purchase price paid later.
- new option that if enabled prevents you from (accidentally/ever) selling a named item. also excludes them from “sell all” special shop actions
- introduced a carver into the outlaw camp. He can name any item for a price. Re-naming costs more. (He can also carve runes into rune trinkets, but those have not been implemented yet.)
- fixed an issue where dragon cave or floater abyss (or spider lair etc.) could move you prematurely to chapter 3
- corrected the RALLY skill tracking, no longer interferes with RAGE skills
- added a COLOSSAL MANTICORE boss. placed below the castle, locked away for everyone’s safety … VERY tough boss. Deliberate. Also sprinkled some mobs and chests in the under-castle level, worth dropping by early in a ch3 play without engaging the manticore yet.
- new unique item (manticore drop): VIKERKAAR. very expensive/valuable 1h blunt. odd stats. hint: check the weapon attack styles before judging it…
- minor bug fixes
- more “his/her” fight log text corrections
- fixes an issue for map entry quests if all popups are disabled
- fixes an issue with open geomancer guild quest
- fixes an issue with berserkers will not preventing stun effect
- fixes the fellowship fixed party challenge equipment
- safer randomised dungeon creation routine
- made the bunny (samurai) challenge a notch harder
- clearer fight texts saying you lost some xp because you fled.
- corrected an error in the rally skill formulas
- 3 new skills for KNIGHTS: oath of protection, rally and second wind. Some gained on class change, some have a trainer, some appear on random insignia, some don’t…
- another tweak to knight challenge
- adding a chance to resist stun effects to the BODYCONTROL birth feat
- new option to turn off all popups (map mood, daily skill reset, quests)
- if you are wearing an item with a strength requirement greater than your strength, the speed penalty that has always been applied is now showing in the item text when item is selected