SkySafari 5 is the newest version of the world's best astronomy app!!
If you've used an older version of SkySafari, here's what's new:
1) Complete support for iOS 9!
2) Support for Apple Watch! Everything you need to know about the Sun, Moon, Planets, and ISS on your wrist.
3) Tonight at a Glance: the location and rise/set times of the Sun, Moon, Planets, and International Space Station in one handy view!
4) Notifications when the ISS and other major satellites will pass overhead, and when the planets rise!
5) Completely new sound effects, and a new look to the sky and horizon. A brighter, more visible Moon. Better transitions between portrait and landscape mode.
6) Object lists in the Search menu now show thumbnail images for every object which has a photograph, and also now shows their rise/set times.
7) Updated object descriptions, now with images in-line on iPhone and iPod touch! Every object now has a description!
8) A new Share button lets you share your sky by email, text, or social media!
9) Reworked Time Flow controls, which let you set the date and time directly from the main toolbar.
If you haven't used SkySafari before, here's what you can do with it.
• Hold your device up, and SkySafari will find stars, constellations, planets, and more! The star chart updates automatically with your real time movements for the ultimate stargazing experience.
• See an eclipse now, in the past or in the future! Simulate the night sky from anywhere on Earth many years in the past or in the future! Animate meteor showers, comet approaches, transits, conjunctions, and other celestial events with SkySafari’s Time Flow.
• Locate the Sun, Moon, or Mars from our extensive database and track the arrow to be directed to their exact locations in the sky before you. See spectacular views of Venus, Jupiter, Saturn, and other planets!
• Learn about the history, mythology, and science of heavens! Browse from hundreds of object descriptions, astronomical photographs, and NASA spacecraft images in SkySafari. Explore tons of NASA Space Missions! Stay up-to-date with SkyWeek, for all major sky events every day – miss nothing!
All this is built into SkySafari 5 – no need for an Internet connection. It's a powerful planetarium that fits in your pocket, puts the universe at your fingertips, and is incredibly easy to use! This app is everything the casual stargazer will ever want.
• 120,000 stars; over 200 star clusters, nebulae, and galaxies; all major planets and moons, and dozens of asteroids, comets, and satellites including the International Space Station (ISS).
• Animated meteor showers with complete viewing information & spectacular graphics.
• Orbit Mode – Leave the Earth’s surface behind, and fly like a NASA space probe through the solar system. Requires in-app purchase.
• Night Vision – Preserves your eyesight after dark.
• Apple Maps Integration – Choose your location from a built-in Maps view.
• Horizon Panoramas – choose from beautiful built-in vistas, or customize your own!
For telescope control, a bigger database, and more features, check out SkySafari 5 Plus and SkySafari 5 Pro!
1) Fix for binary stars with invalid semimajor axes now (e.g. 40 Draconis). Updated deep sky database with 2016 NGC-IC, PGC; fixes for duplicate NGC labels on galaxies.
2) Updated LibPNG from 1.5.5 to 1.6.19 to address security vulnerability warning.
3) Fixed cosmetic bug in Time Flow panel when the date was "BC".