Due to the enforcement of Apple's policy regarding blocking ads across the device, Adguard Pro had to abandon the System-wide ad blocking. It still serves as a Safari content blocker and offers custom DNS settings as a Pro package, with plans to expand.
Adguard Pro gives you more than just ad blocking in Safari!
With Adguard Pro you can select different DNS service providers, which opens new possibilities: faster and more reliable internet access both for Wi-Fi and cellular connections, parental control, protection from phishing and malware and shielding your DNS traffic against interception and snooping. All this on top of the excellent ad blocking in Safari, which is already proved to be of an unrivalled quality by the free Adguard for iOS version.
Highly customizable Adguard Pro will make your web surfing safe and fast!
NOTE: if you are using Pro version, there is no need to keep regular Adguard app on your device.
Adguard Pro is not just a Content Blocker - it has much more to offer:
- Firewall. Use Adguard's ability to set up any custom DNS profile to shape your browsing the way you like. Select one of the tested and trusted preconfigured profiles like OpenDNS or Google Public DNS, or set up any of your own. Mind that this requires setting up a fake VPN, but your outgoing traffic is not being routed through any remote server.
- Parental control - some DNS providers offer configurations that will protect your children from adult content on the web, often backed up with protection against malicious websites. Use Adguard Pro to set up one of them and shield your kids from the inappropriate materials online.
- Flexible configuration. Request log allows you to easily track all DNS requests and blacklist anything you don't want to see; vice versa, add to the whitelist any requests you think are unjustly blocked by your current DNS provider.
As Adguard Pro uses a VPN profile to be able to change DNS settings, it may have compatibility issues with some other VPN-based apps. List of such known apps:
- HotSpot Shield
- Ad blocking in Safari. Blocks any kinds of ads; more than 50 (!) various filters are at your service. So say goodbye to annoying stuff like banners, video ads, popups and such.
- Includes popular adblock filter subscriptions - EasyList, EasyPrivacy, Fanboy's Annoyances, Malware Domains. Which means double protection both by these and Adguard own filters.
- Regional and other filters. Adguard is the first ad blocker that allows you to use language-specific filters. Which means you can visit websites in different languages - they still will be filtered.
- Blocking of trackers and social widgets. Special filters block all the counters and trackers to protect your privacy and remove excessive social media buttons.
- Speed acceleration. Adguard removes tons of rubbish from the web. And clean pages open faster, you know.
We develop Adguard products for various platforms. For more than 6 years Adguard helps all its users enjoy the Internet the way it should be - safe and clean.
Recently, Apple has announced that according to their policy, they "have never allowed apps on the App Store that are designed to interfere with the performance or capabilities of other apps". This means that the only ad blocking solution permitted in iOS are content blocking extensions for Safari browser, and Adguard Pro has to rethink its features. Sadly, the system-wide ad blocking has to go, but we keep the custom DNS functionality and look forward to developing it even more in the future.
Aside from this, there's actually something to say about the new version itself. Notably, it features a new setting that lets you choose between the more stable work and compatibility with other VPN apps. We decided to introduce this setting as a response to some cases of iOS bypassing the Adguard due to bad connectivity. Now you can choose between two modes: split-tunnel and full-tunnel. While in split-tunnel mode (the default one), Adguard will be compatible with some other VPN apps but can be bypassed by the system. On the contrary, in full-tunnel mode, you can't run other VPN apps alongside Adguard, but iOS won't be able to bypass it, regardless of the connection quality.
Plus, as usual, more fixes, UI changes, updated localizations and more.