# Mac App Store Best of 2015
The Image Editor for Humans.
Everyone needs to edit photos at some point, but not everyone has the time to learn complicated super pricey photo editing software. This is why we created Acorn. Add text and shapes to your digital pictures. Combine images together to create a photo collage. Work with layers to touch up your favorite photos or make something entirely new from scratch. Do all this and more with Acorn!
Latest Features Highlights
* Text on a path. Create a path with any of Acorn’s shape tools, then add text!
* Enhanced clone tool to clone across layers, images, and even clone group or shape layers.
* Updated web export window includes the ability to zoom, pan, scale, convert color profile, and retain or remove image metadata
* Smart layer export, Acorn’s alternative to slicing, has a new configurable palette to export your layers from 1x-5x.
What can Acorn do? Here’s a glimpse at a handful of Acorn’s capabilities:
* Remove image backgrounds using the magic wand selection tool or instant alpha eraser tools
* Combine images together to create collages or photo layouts
* Create logos and other vector designs using the path text tool or circle text
* Correct blemishes or image imperfections using the clone tool
* Easily adjust the contrast, highlights, shadows, and midtones in your images using levels and curves
* Lighten or darken images using blending modes, filters, or touch-up tools
Powerful Image and Layer Capabilities
* Over 25 different non-destructive blending mode options
* Unlimited layers and group layers
* Layer masks for nondestructive editing
* Transform, rotate, move, lock, merge, delete, and duplicate your layers
* Snap to grid, guides, selections, shapes, layers, and the canvas
* Supports image depth of 8, 16, and 32 bits per channel
Filters, Layer Styles, and Effects
* Unlimited combinations of layer styles and non-destructive filters possible
* Save and modify your filters later
* Create filter presets
* Tilt shift, vignette, drop shadow, distortions, & blurs
* Over one hundred additional effects
* Non-destructive curves and levels to adjust individual color channels
The Tools You Need
* Customizable clone, stamp, dodge, burn, blur, eraser, and smudge brushes
* Built-in brush designer for control of softness, spacing, and dozens of other brush refinements
* Drag and drop to import photoshop brushes
* Multi-stop live gradients
* Rectangle, elliptical, freehand, polygonal, and magic wand selection tools for making precise selections
* Convert selection to shape
* Quickmask mode to paint on a selection
* Custom color picker
* Stars, arrows, bézier curves, circles, lines, and rectangles
* Shape processor to move, tweak, generate, and adjust shapes in a stackable non-destructive interface
* Boolean shape operations include union, intersect, difference and exclude.
* Convert text to bézier paths for finer control of your text
* Snap shapes to pixel boundaries for precise alignment
Sharing & File Support
* Photos extension to edit your images from Photos
* Share images to Photos, Facebook, Twitter, and more
* Import JPEG, JPEG 2000, PNG, TIFF, GIF, PDF, PSD, BMP, PSD, RAW, PICT, SVG, TGA, ICO, and AI (with PDF compatibility turned on)
* Export JPEG, JPEG 2000, PNG, TIFF, GIF, PDF, PSD, BMP, SVG, TGA, & ICO
* Export TIFF and JPEG with CMYK color profile
* RAW image import of 32, 64, & 128 bit images
* Create layered screenshots of every window you have open on your computer
* Web export with wide gamut detection
* Automatable + scriptable.
* Perform batch image editing using Automator, AppleScript, and JS
* Editable image metadata
* Touch bar support
Acorn’s offers extensive online documentation, tutorials, a forum, and responsive support staff. You don’t have to learn by yourself. If you ever run into any issues, please let us know by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Clone tool now has an opacity option.
• Crop improvements: You can now set the DPI of an image while cropping, and alignment guides now appear when rotating your image in a crop.
• The Perspective Transform command has a new option in the palette to show / hide the grid. It also gets a new palette that shows up when invoked.
• Feathering selections: The Select ▸ Feather… menu item has been removed and you can now control the feather on a selection right in the selection palette.
• End caps for bezier paths: You can now change between round, square, and butt end cap styles for bezier paths. These new options are right under the join style in the path options section of the shape palette. Also, it's now easier to see the selected state of the line join and cap styles.
• You can now use the anchor select tool to drag and select multiple anchors.
• New Image Panel improvements: We've increased the accuracy when changing from one unit to another (ie- inches to centimeters) as well as added an option to view the resolution field as pixels per inch or pixels per centimeter.
• The PDF import window now shows the pixel dimensions of what your new image will be (and updates accordingly when you change the DPI)
• We've added a new advanced preference which tells Acorn to load 3rd party Image Units.
• New Polish Localization courtesy of Leszek Klich.
• Better support for editing images from Bear.
• Tightened up the pixel edges a shape will snap to on creation (specifically bezier path or rect shapes).
• Adjust a text box to have a non-zero line height will no longer clip the top of the first line (for new text boxes only; existing text boxes will keep the old behavior).
• The blinking insertion point for text boxes and paths is a little bit thicker now.
• Kerning is now on by default for new text boxes (previously it was disabled). You can turn kerning off by editing and selecting the text, then using the Edit ▸ Font ▸ Kern ▸ Use None menu item. Additionally, the Command-Option-[ and Command-Option-] shortcuts can be used to tighten and loosen the kerning on selected text (while editing it).
• Improvements to how the aspect ratio is kept when placing a crop preset on the canvas and then swapping the orientation with the 'x' key.
• No longer showing a modal dialog box when a trying to change a locked layer. An in-canvas notification is now shown instead.
• Web Export now lets you explicitly set the quality of your image when exporting, in addition to the already existing slider. The quality setting lets Acorn know how much compression to use when exporting your image.
• The DPI for certain presets have been increased from 72 to 300 dpi.
• Text padding changes. Prior to Acorn 6.5, text boxes had a 5 pixel inset which would make glyphs show up 5 pixels to the right of where the logical location of the text box was. This meant that when you left aligned a text box below a filled box, the starting glyph wasn't exactly where you'd expect it to be. In Acorn 6.5, new text boxes are created with a padding of 0 pixels so alignment will always happen as you'd expect. Existing text boxes keep the 5 pixel inset for compatibility's sake.
• The default new document size has been changed to be whatever half the size of your display's pixel dimensions are.
• Fixed a problem where Smart Layer Export wouldn't work when an extension was not given in the file name.
• Fixed a problem where adding a control point to the curves filter wouldn't show up right away.
• Fixed a problem when using the pencil tool on 10.13 and later with the blend mode set to copy.
• Fixed an issue where empty windows would sometimes come up when you launched Acorn.
• Fixed a problem where setting the paragraph spacing to 0 while editing a text box would sometimes fail.
If you like Acorn, we'd love it if you could take a moment and give it a nice review. It helps Acorn get noticed, which helps everyone in the long run.