GV Connect is the most feature-complete Google Voice application available for your iPhone or iPad — text, call, and interact with your existing GV accounts using a beautiful and streamlined interface that gives you full control over your account settings:
• Place calls using your Google Voice number rather than your mobile number - enter number directly, select a contact from your device's contacts, or call back any number in your history. The application supports direct call (iPhone only), callback, and offline calling (see application website for a description of these calling modes)
• Send and receive text messages (SMS) from your Google Voice number - including support for long SMS, group messages, picture messages (MMS – available as In-App purchase), and support for non-English messages. Supports in-line replies with an iMessage-like interface
• Automatically check for new messages and voicemails - even when the application is in the background
• Listen to voicemails and recorded conversations right on your device (allowing you to pause, rewind, or fast forward to any point within the message) - voicemails will show the transcription of the message when available
• Un/-archive messages, mark them as un-/read or starred, attach notes to conversations, block/unblock senders, trash or delete conversations
• Easily search in your history by contact, message, or note text - supports continuing searches online for messages that have not yet been cached locally
• Messages are stored on your device for offline access
• Quickly change various Google Voice account settings (call forwarding, do-not-disturb — including the option to have DND automatically expire at a specified time, message notifications, …)
• Add, verify, and remove forwarding phone numbers
• Quick Settings allow saving and restoring complete account settings (DND, forwarding, …) for easy switching between different profiles
• Support for automatic selection of Quick Settings based on current location (available as In-App Purchase)
• Direct access to your device's contacts without needing to synchronize them with Google
• Quick access to favorite phone numbers for calls and SMS
• Universal application which runs optimized on iPhone (including iPhone 6/6 Plus), iPod Touch, and iPad (including split-screen multi-tasking on supported devices running iOS 9 or later)
• Optional application passcode lock (with TouchID option on supported devices)
• Supports gesture navigation when typing text for easier placement of the cursor: swipe left/right with one or two fingers to move the caret position backwards/forward by character or word. Swipe left/right with three fingers to go to the beginning/end of the existing text
• Supports TextExpander touch snippet expansion including support for fill-in snippets
* Recipient of an honorable mention in the 2010 Best App Ever Awards *
NOTE: An existing Google Voice account with a GV phone number is required to use this application - signup for new Google Voice accounts is currently limited to residents of the US. Please note that GV Connect is NOT a VoIP application and will not allow making or receiving calls from an iPad/iPod Touch without a separate VoIP application.
GV Connect stores your account password securely in your device's Keychain for faster login when launching the application. All communication is done exclusively via secure connections (SSL) to the Google Voice servers owned and operated by Google and no contact information (other than the contact's phone number which is required to place a call or send a message) is sent to Google or any other party. All operations are fully synchronized with your Google Voice account.
Please read the FAQ section on the application website if you encounter any issues or use the feedback email link in its about screen to ask for support.
• Fix potential crash when first upgrading existing accounts
• Fix crash when acknowledging camera/image library privacy alerts
Note: to access the MMS In-App Purchase, tap the camera icon when composing a message and you can buy it from there.
Version 3.0 of GV Connect is a major update of the application and now supports the new features recently introduced by Google (MMS/picture messages, group messaging, and SMS grouping by number). Please note that MMS support requires a one-time In-App Purchase — GV Connect has been continuously supported with updates and new features for over six years without ever charging existing users after their initial purchase. We feel that this modest one-time fee to unlock a newly added feature is a fair compromise to support the continued maintenance without charging for a "new" application or changing to a subscription-based model. The application will work fine without the MMS In-App Purchase (other than not being able to send images or see received images).
• Support for native group messages and MMS (picture messages). MMS support requires purchase of a one-time In-App Purchase for activation.
• All SMS messages to/from a single phone number are now grouped into a single thread rather than broken up into arbitrary conversations. Older messages in a thread (if available) can be loaded using "pull to refresh" at the top of the list.
• Each message in an SMS conversation now has a full date & time stamp rather than just showing the time of day.
• Added the ability to delete individual messages in an SMS conversation (using swipe-to-delete).
• Allow marking messages as (not) Spam independently of (un-)blocking phone numbers.
• Blocked numbers/contacts are now shown with a blocked icon in the message lists.
CHANGES IN BEHAVIOR:
• Removed "Trash" entry in message lists and "Move to Trash" action for messages (this feature is no longer supported by Google Voice). "Delete" will now immediately and completely delete an item.
• Starred messages and conversation notes are now application-specific (with no syncing between devices) since Google removed those features as well.
OTHER IMPROVEMENTS & BUG FIXES:
• Massive speed increase when loading SMS conversations with a large number of individual messages.
• Optimized interface to the Google Voice servers to reduce the amount of data used.
• When replying to an incoming SMS directly from the notification without opening the application, the message will now be automatically marked as read.
• Update the protocol for verifying forwarding phones to the latest version so that it works again.
By the way, App Store reviews are very helpful – reviews get reset with every update. If you like GV Connect, we would greatly appreciate if you could take a few minutes and leave a nice review. Thanks for using GV Connect!