Silo is a focused and lightning-fast standalone 3D modeler. Its deep modeling and UV mapping toolset has made it a favorite of pros for making game assets, movie characters, and objects for 3D printing. It’s a huge upgrade over the modeling tools of bloated all-in-one packages, and works hand-in-hand with industry standards like Maya, Blender, and ZBrush, and game engines like Unity and Unreal.
Advanced context-sensitive tools reduce the number of keys required to work fast, and sticky keys let you hop into and out of tools on the fly. From Spin Edge to advanced mirroring to LSCM UV Unwrapping, Silo has the tools pros request most. All accessible via a 100% customizable mouse.
Silo is currently being used at top studios worldwide as both a stand-alone design tool and as a versatile element of a multi-software 3D graphics workflow.
Silo's careful design and its focus on pure modeling allows it to have a free, uncluttered feeling which is simply not possible in larger applications. Whether you are working to precise specifications or sketching out your thoughts, it is much easier to do so in a calm, focused modeling environment. This benefits professionals who are coming to Silo to escape slower, more complex software. It also benefits hobbyists and students, who are able to learn everything they need without having to deal with anything they don't need.
**Advanced Polygonal Modeling**
Silo offers a comprehensive set of interactive, context-sensitive tools for rapid polygonal modeling. The workflow is focused on having a few powerful, intelligent tools, rather than a separate command or option for every conceivable function. Additionally, "sticky key" functionality allows tools to behave differently if a hotkey is held down. Key modeling tools include Break, Tweak, Cut, Bevel, Slide, Scale, Extrude, Polygon Tool, Edge Tool, unlimited Undo and Redo, and more. Modeling can be performed with or without manipulators, including the Universal Manipulator which combines rotate, scale, and translate into a single manipulator.
Subdivision surfaces offer a smooth, high polygon shape, and are easily accessible in Silo. Using default shortcuts, simply press c to subdivide as many levels as you want, and v to unsubdivide. Modeling can be performed in real time at any subdivision level with updates shown directly on the subdivided shape. Edges can be creased to keep them sharp at all subdivision levels.
**Advanced UV Editing**
Silo offers multiple types of unwrapping, including LSCM, Planar Region, XYZ, Per Face, and By Neighbors, which heals UVs based on the UVs based on the surrounding area. Different unwrapping methods can even be used on parts of the same mesh for optimal results. UVs are preserved during modeling operations, so modeling and UV editing can be freely interchanged with little to no cleanup. (This is particularly useful when a last-minute modeling change needs to be made to a "finished" model.) As described in the Silo Core section, clutter is significantly reduced by allowing regular geometry editing tools to be used to edit UVs wherever it makes sense. Even the displacement brushes, particularly the Smooth brush, are very useful when applied to smoothing out UVs.
**Much, Much More**
Visit us at www.nevercenter.com to learn more.
Please note that purchasing Silo from the Mac App store does not give you a license to use the Windows version of Silo as well. A cross-platform version can be purchased from our website.
This major new version of Silo includes a ton of key improvements, including expanded file format support (Fbx and Collada/Dae), an all-new modern look and feel, and loads of usability improvements and bug fixes. Here are many of the new features:
- Collada and FBX format support (import and export).
- Completely updated, modern, cleaner interface styling.
- Simplified Button Settings editor for easier custom setup design.
- Updated drawing code with in-app anti-aliasing setting.
- Added menu item to reveal custom primitives folder.
- Custom primitives folder can now include nested directories.
- Newly loaded files are now automatically framed in the viewport.
- New presets for color settings.
- Updated presets for mouse settings.
- Various other interface streamlining and improvements.
- Fixed bug some users experienced with selection when anti-aliasing was enabled.
- FACT file import/export bug fixes.
- STL file import/export bug fixes
- Fixed some tools reverting to the wrong manipulator
- Fixed some manipulators allowing incorrect selections
- Many error messages moved to pop-ups to make it more apparent when something goes wrong.
- Images always saved with correct extension even when missing from file name entered.
- Improved many error messages for clarity.
- Added menu item to reveal preferences folder.
- Object properties window now always shows shape properties (in addition to component properties).
- Texture seam display is now per-object.
- Texture seams can now be marked using highlighted edges.
- Cleaned up internal code.
- New app icon.
- Lots of other bug fixes.