• "Speak ‘N Spell for the iPad Generation" - The New York Times •
Word Wizard offers several unique reading and spelling activities for children ages four to 10:
• A talking Movable Alphabet that allows kids to experiment with phonics and word building thanks to the advanced text to speech engine.
• 3 spelling activities that increase in difficulty
• 184 built-in word lists (about 1800 words)
• Add your own words to create unique spelling quizzes
• Keep tabs on your children’s progress with detailed reports
• Editor's Choice Award for Excellence in Design - Children's Technology Review
• Winner of a Parents’ Choice Award
• Featured by Apple as 'New and Noteworthy' , in ‘Apps For Learning to Write’ & 'Apps for Kids'
• Used in US Schools (60K units sold to schools)
• More than 240K Units downloaded !
Talking Movable Alphabet Activity
• Pronounce and spell check any word, number or sentence
• Natural Sounding Voice - three American voices, one British voice and one Australian voice
• Letter sound (phonic) or name when a letter is touched in the alphabet
• Alphabetic or Qwerty Keyboard
• 4 keyboards available: letters, numbers, consonant digraphs (like “th”) and vowels digraphs (like “oo”)
• Uppercase or lowercase letters
• Keyboard emulation option (dragging letters is optional)
• 4 letter sizes available (allowing for more or less letters on the board)
• Voice Transformer (speed and tone) for added fun
• Customized word pronunciation, if necessary
Fun Spelling Activities
3 spelling activities of increasing difficulty are provided to adapt the activity to the child’s spelling level. You can use the built-in word lists or create your own.
1 - "Word Practice" says and displays the word to spell, and asks the child to spell it using the talking movable alphabet
2 - "Scrambled Letters" says the word and displays the letters needed to build the word or sentence, and asks the child to reorder the letters.
3 - “Spelling Quizzes” is a standard spelling test. The app won’t move onto the next word until the child has correctly spelled the word, helping them to remember its correct spelling.
• 184 built-in word lists of 10 words: Words for beginners, Dolch Words, 1,000 most frequently used words, body parts and more
• Create custom Word Lists by entering your own words and sentences
• Import and export Word Lists you’ve created
• Hints are available should kids not know how to spell a word
• Colorful animations are displayed when a word is completed
• Once a quiz is completed, interactive animations are available as a reward
-- Users & Reports --
• Unlimited number of users
• Detailed Spelling Test Reports per user (can be exported in PDF)
• The New York Times
"This is an important breakthrough in reading instruction, because it leverages the iPad’s size, powerful speech synthesis abilities and touchscreen, so that every letter can be a building block of phonetically accurate sound"
• Children's Technology Review
Editor's Choice Award for Excellence in Design - 4.8 stars out of 5 - "Turn your iPad into a talking alphabet/language generator - and the perfect tool for a child just starting to experiment with letters and their sounds"
• Wired's GeekDad
"This is a fantastic app for young children, right through to children in later elementary school which makes it an app worth having on your iPad."
• “I love the talking alphabet. (...) The app supports letter recognition, phonological awareness, spelling and self-correction without sacrificing fun. I will certainly recommend it to early educators.” Mary Ellin Logue, Ed.D, Associate Professor, Early Childhood Education,University of Maine
Please send any suggestions to [email protected] We listen to our users to improve our products.
• Word Images! You can now assign images to words. Images pop-up automatically once a word is built in the Movable Alphabet activity, and appear at the beginning of a quiz activity.
• Background Images! You can also add small background images in the Movable Alphabet activity to have a subject on which to write.
• + and = characters have been added to the keyboard so you can do some maths
• Reports now contain the time taken to write a word
• Export text to share what children have written
• Create word lists from text files
• Text to speech engine updated
• New child lock settings to prevent kids to exit an activity, or delete words lists
• Back button is not hidden in the settings anymore
• Fixed capitalization issues in Practice Activity
• iOS11 (64 bits) support
As usual, please send us your feedback so we can make the app even better. Thanks !