Onion Browser is the original free and open-source Tor-powered web browser for iOS. Onion Browser helps you access the internet with more safety and privacy, and no extra cost to you.
“The best Tor-related offering on iOS right now is Onion Browser” - The Daily Dot, October 14, 2015.
Featured in: The New York Times, The Guardian, Salon, TechCrunch, Gizmodo, Boing Boing, Lifehacker, Macworld, The Daily Dot, & others.
• Browse the internet over Tor:
- Protect your privacy from website tracking
- Secure your traffic from insecure wireless networks and ISPs
- Support for HTTPS Everywhere, an automatic switch to HTTPS enabled websites
- Access .onion sites that are only accessible over Tor.
• Fight online tracking: block scripts and automatically clear cookies and tabs, based on your preferences.
• And more privacy-enhancing features!
- Web browsing is much slower than through a normal web browser or a VPN because your traffic is encrypted and relayed through the Tor network.
- Multimedia often bypass Tor and compromise your privacy; video files and video streams are blocked by default and are not supported by Onion Browser.
- Onion Browser might not work on networks with advanced network restrictions. If the app does not connect, try using bridges (or a different type of bridge), force-quit, and then restart the app.
- Use of Onion Browser is at your own risk; remember that sensitive data does not always belong on a mobile device.
** Onion Browser is free and open-source software. You can read more about Onion Browser and how to support development of Tor on iOS by visiting onionbrowser.com **
Welcome to Onion Browser 2!
Onion Browser 2 is a total rewrite of the app which contains several new features:
* A friendlier first-time launch experience.
* An updated user interface, containing "tabbed browsing" and improved settings panels
* HTTPS Everywhere support
* 1Password support
* Built-in ad-blocking and privacy protection
* Tor 0.3.1.9
* Settings and bookmarks from Onion Browser 1 are retained.
Best of all: this update is free!
The Onion Browser 2 update was supported by the Guardian Project, with help from Benjamin Erhart and Carrie Winfrey. Onion Browser 2 is based on the open-source "Endless" Browser; special thanks to Joshua Stein for creating Endless and for granting permission to use it in Onion Browser. See the credits file in the app settings for more information.
2.0.3: Security update: mitigate WebRTC IP address leak, unless in “permissive” content policy mode. See Host Settings->Default Settings to adjust this mode.
2.0.2: Security update: fix DNS leak. Fixes for IPv6 connectivity affecting users of some mobile carriers. Fixes for some crashes. Added localizations for several languages.
2.0.1: Minor update to fix App Store rating link.