Yomiwa is a fast and complete offline Japanese dictionary, including all modern features. Yomiwa also comes with powerful Optical Character Recognition technology (OCR) which lets you recognize over 4000 Japanese characters (Kanjis / Hiragana and Katakana) and provide translations Japanese into many target languages with your camera. The app displays a pop up with translations and definitions of words and kanjis as soon as you point to Japanese characters with your iPhone or iPad. You can as well take a picture or pick one from your camera roll and navigate it to translate chosen characters. Yomiwa also has a built-in drawing feature for you to draw and translate Japanese characters on your touch-screen with very high accuracy.
• A complete and powerful built-in dictionary with full informations about words, kanjis (on-yomi, kun-yomi, meaning, stroke order etc.) and example sentences. Available languages: English, French, German, Spanish, Russian, Hungarian, Dutch, Slovene, Swedish and Hungarian.
• Search definitions from any kind of alphabet: Kanjis / Hiraganas / Katakanas / Romajis. You can search from Japanese words or from foreign words.
• Input characters by: Drawing / Radical search / Keyboard
• A powerful Optical Character Recognition (OCR) engine which lets you translate Japanese characters with your camera or from your camera roll pictures
• Text Analyzer: Paste some text, or import it from the OCR modes, into the text analyzer to get furiganas and definitions of each word in the text
• A proper names database (such as people names, places, locations...)
• Japanese pronunciation of words in roman letters (romaji) or hiragana / katakana.
• Draw characters on the screen to translate them and practice writing Japanese
• Read either horizontal or vertical Japanese text
• Build vocabulary lists of Japanese words and Kanjis (which you can share as files or text in may ways!)
• Get help from the user community by sharing pictures on the Yomiwa Wall.
Yomiwa is perfect for:
• Use as a dictionary
• Read and understand Japanese text (newspaper, manga, books,...)
• Learn and study Japanese Kanjis (meaning, reading, drawing, writing)
• Translate Japanese words in everyday life situations
• Instant on-the-go translation when travelling in Japan
• Overcome the language barrier!
Video visible on the link below (developer website). However, the app has been greatly improved from the last video footage.
Feedback and suggestions are very welcome: [email protected]
• Small design adjustments
• Added a history list to see previously looked-up words
• Export pictures directly in Yomiwa to recognize the Japanese characters inside
*Very recent changes:
• Added search by radicals
• Text Analyzer: Paste some text, or import it from the OCR modes, in the new text analyzer mode to get furiganas and definitions of each word in the text.
• When you enter Japanese text in the dictionary search bar and no results are found, the text may be decomposed into several words for which definitions are provided
• iPhone X design adjustments
• Better parsing of Japanese text
• Better ranking of word translations in OCR modes
• More detailed word informations (synonyms, antonyms, dialect, field etc.)
• You can now add personal notes to word informations (and see all of them in the vocabulary-lists section)
• In the dictionary mode, you can now search words that either start with / end with / contains the query word
• More detailed information for each Kanji such as JLPT level, grade, frequency, compounds etc.
• Added several languages to the dictionary, Yomiwa can now provide detailed information of Japanese words into: English, French, German, Spanish, Russian, Hungarian, Dutch, Slovene, Swedish and Hungarian. Check out the download menu!
• Improved character recognition accuracy
• Yomiwa can now recognize around 4000 Japanese characters (~3000 before)
• Added more ways to share vocabulary lists
• Recognition of words split across multiple lines