Download high resolution USGS topographic maps for offline GPS* use.
Topo Nomad is designed for road trips, camping, hiking, exploration and geographical history. Topographic maps are aligned with the Apple Maps as the background map for easy referencing and intuitive touch navigation.
This software utilizes the latest capabilities of IOS offering the highest performance with fast start up, map rotation, rendering and zoom with unbeatable details and resolution. Map downloads are dispatched in the background so you can continue using the app while new maps concurrently install.
Topo Nomad has a builtin index of over a quarter million U.S. Geological Survey topographic maps describing the topography of every region and island territories of the United States of America. Historical versions date as far back as year 1884. Install a map quad by pressing and holding a point on the reference map and discover the USGS historical maps available at that coordinate and the unique names given to every quad by the cartographers.
The limits don't stop there with just USGS maps. Import "Geospatial PDF" maps from the web, iTunes and email. Many local and national park services offer PDF map downloads from their web sites which automatically install into the Topo Nomad app. And, if you reside outside the USA check with your government services for topographic and aeronautical sectional maps with embedded geospatial metadata.
Cannot find that map you downloaded but know where in the world it is located. Simply zoom out the reference map view and all the topo maps become a colorful violet and partially transparent so you can spot your map. Installed maps are managed in a table format which can be sorted by name, distance, and scale. Multiple versions of the same map can be stacked on top of one another and made visible or hidden using two finger swipes.
Planning a hike somewhere and want to know the distance of your jaunt. Download the map and use the dual mode ruler to measure the path distance and know the answer to "how much farther?"
• No need for cellular service to use
• GPS location on downloaded topo maps while offline
• Find geographic features with geocode search
• Waypoints with Augmented Reality finder
• Track path GPS recording*
• Route paths and distance
• Dual mode ruler with orthographic line and path measuring
• Full app usability while maps download in the background
• Displays footprint grid and quadrangle names
• Aligns all map datums to WGS84 GPS coordinates
• Dynamic map stitching
• Cropping of map margins for one big map grid
• Automatic map download for your current location
• Uses GPS location service to identify your location on a topo map
• Miles, Feet, Kilometers, Meters, Nautical Miles units
• Latitude and Longitude decimal and minutes seconds coordinate display
• Maps are free to download and USGS maps are public domain
• Import maps downloaded from the USGS in zip and PDF file formats
• Import Geospatial PDF map images via a the web, email attachment & iTunes
• MSL elevation for GPS location
Not currently supported: UTM/MGRS coordinate; geo-TIFF; PDF Layers. Not all geospatial datums and metadata formats are supported, please email support with Geospatial PDF issues.
* Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life. Some iPad & iPod models do not have GPS and compass hardware required for waypoint AR feature.
Thank you Apple for IOS 10.3.
• Tracks and routes show path point distance when tapped.
• Current US Topo maps draw PDF OCG defaults without aerial image layer (IOS 10.3).
• 25K scale and smaller maps will release hi-res image data should your device storage space becomes critically low, drop in resolution is negligible.