As featured in Ordnance Survey's OS OpenData innovative application showcase.
GB Maps Offline provides a useful online and offline mapping reference and navigation aid whilst travelling by road, rail, canal, river and sea waters. A powerful offline search facility can locate over 2.8 million places, roads, post codes and hills within Great Britain. Many of the standard Apple maps features (e.g. User Tracking, 3D buildings, Points of interest) are available for use with Apple Standard, Satellite and Hybrid maps. User tracking with or without heading is also supported for Great Britain Ordnance Survey offline maps.
- Offline access to Ordnance Survey (OS) Great Britain (GB) maps published in 2014/2015. (No data connection required)
- Offline search functionality with over 2.8 million GB searchable locations (places, roads, post codes and hills). No data connection required.
-258,418 place names
-1,684,496 post codes
-848,718 road names
For the place name search the location's latitude and longitude are accurate to 0.1 of a minute of the centre point of the National Grid square (1 km by 1 km) in which the name falls.
- Detailed hill information, including height, location, classification with hill specific links to Streetmap, Geograph and Hill Bagging web sites.
- Online access to worldwide Apple Standard, Satellite and Hybrid maps.
- Apple 3D Buildings are displayed on Apple Standard maps.
- Apple maps contain Points of Interest.
- Display of current location information (optionally as a GB Ordnance survey grid reference)
- User location can be tracked with or without heading on all online and offline maps (GPS capable devices only)
- "Share My Location" allowing users to share an image of their current location and location references. Buttons are provided to share location information by Facebook, Twitter, iMessage/SMS and e-mail.
- Display of scale bar in either metric or imperial units.
- Display of current speed.
- Zoom, pan, rotation of all maps.
- Pitch of Apple standard and Ordnance Survey maps.
- Selection of current location annotation for display of speed and location data.
- User setting for speed display in Miles per Hour (mph) or Kilometers per Hour (kph)
- User setting for display of current GPS position as Ordnance Survey Grid Reference or WGS84 latitude and longitude.
- Selection of search result pin annotations to display location information.
- Collective deletion of search result annotation pins.
- A user guide is provided within the app.
Four levels of Ordnance Survey map detail are accessible within the app relating to different zoom levels. At the lowest zoom levels an overview of Great Britain is provided.
At the third level of detail, the map clearly shows the landscape features relevant to its scale, including relief, boundaries, settlements, main communications and physical features (published by OS in Jan 2015)
The most detailed zoom levels features a 1:250 000 scale map published by OS in Jan 2014. It clearly shows the landscape features relevant to its scale, including relief, cities, towns, many villages, motorways, A and B class roads, railways, rivers and some woodlands.
The OS search data was published by Ordnance Survey in 2014.
Extracts from "The Database of British and Irish Hills" v14 published 22/04/2014 (ref. http://www.hills-database.co.uk/index.html )
The data is supplied by Apple, Ordnance Survey and Database of British and Irish Hills.
The Information is licensed 'as is' and the Information Provider and/or Licensor excludes all representations, warranties, obligations and liabilities in relation to the Information to the maximum extent permitted by law.
The Information Provider and/or Licensor are not liable for any errors or omissions in the Information and shall not be liable for any loss, injury or damage of any kind caused by its use.
This app is not a substitute for a paper map and compass.
Improved transitioning has been implemented between the map tiles delivered with the app and those obtained from In App Purchases.
New images and App Previews added highlighting the product quality.
If you like the app then please leave a review comment on the App Store.