Mate is an incredibly powerful translator app which is deeply integrated with iOS. It lets you easily translate words, texts and speech anywhere on your iPhone or iPad. It works both online and offline, as well as available in dark and light mode. Mate will have your back with 103 languages.
Mate is equally helpful if you're mastering a new language, want to take down a language barrier when going abroad, or just occasionally need to translate a web page, email, message, etc.
Full list of supported languages:
Mate has some simple yet powerful iOS extensions which will save you a lot of time:
- Safari Extension. Translate directly in the browser. Highlighted text or full pages. Just enable Mate's extension by tapping on the share icon in the Safari's toolbar.
- Share Extension. Translate in Mail, Notes, PDFs by highlighting text, choosing Share and then Mate from Share Menu.
- iMessage App. Write messages in your language, Mate will translate them on the fly and send in the recipient's language. Or vice versa.
- Widget. Translate clipboard contents by long-pressing Mate's icon on home screen or from the Search screen.
We also supercharged Mate with some features language enthusiasts will totally love:
- Genders for nouns. Supports French, German, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Swedish, and Dutch.
- Phonetic transcription and transliteration for both original and translation.
- Speak out.
- Phrasebook. It's an easy way to store vocabulary you want to learn. You can save words to Phrasebook directly or shuffle your existing translations to it. Phrasebook can also be exported to the Reji app in just one tap. Reji will then let you practice words using a very efficient learning mode.
If you're always on the go, we have something for you, too:
- Speech Translator.
- Mate Account. Mate has a powerful Mac app and extensions for all major browsers. Using Mate Account you can keep translation history and Phrasebook synchronized on all devices.
Other Mate apps:
The Reji app for learning words:
We post frequent updates on Twitter:
It's the biggest update we've ever shipped for Mate's iOS app! Without kidding, it's even larger than the initial Mate release. It's packed with 5 totally new features and a few dozens of smaller improvements.
Yes, you're reading it correctly! From now on, Mate can translate offline, too. Just download offline packs for languages you need from the language picker and you're good to go. Packs are reasonably-sized — each of them is just around 50 MB. Please note offline translation come without synonyms and phonetic transcription, though.
We added yet another way to translate seamlessly within iOS — now in Safari. With our brand new action extension you can translate words, sentences and even full pages without leaving Safari. Turn on Mate Extension from the share menu in Safari's toolbar.
It's better late than never, right? Mate offers both light and dark modes now.
Mate will always try to understand the input language itself even if you forget to set it correctly.
More Data About Words
Now Mate shows phonetic transcription for the original, too. We also added support for genders for languages like French, German, Spanish, Italian, etc.
All-New Speech Translator
Mate's Speak & Translate feature was redesigned from the ground up. It's not a separate screen anymore. You can start talking to Mate by simply tapping on the microphone icon in the input field. Pretty much the same way as audio message in WhatsApp or Telegram work. The words will appear in the field on the fly.
Updated Home Screen Quick Actions
Long tap on Mate's icon on home screen to access our revamped quick actions. You can start speech or clipboard translation from there.
Better Look on iPad
We owe an apology to iPad users that Mate was a downright iPad-hostile app up until this moment. We optimized every screen and extension to look and feel natively on iPad.
Speed and Stability Improvements
Phonetic transcription should never fail to load, translation speed became considerably faster.
Enhanced Copy Options
You can copy phonetic transcription (or transliteration) too now. Just long tap on it.
Bugs Fixed and Smaller Improvements
- Mate won't interrupt your music playback when using the speak-out feature anymore.
- We polished Mate's look on iPhone X, XR, Xs (Max), and 11.
- We made the main screen cleaner and more solid.
- We localized Mate into a bunch of new languages. We also polished old localizations. All in-app copy should've become more clear and concise.
Mate is also available for Mac and as a browser extension for all major browsers:
Follow us on Twitter for updates:
Send feedback at email@example.com.