X-rays, CAT scans, fluoroscopy (including angiography/angioplasty), and nuclear medicine exams all cause ionizing radiation to be delivered to the body, which can cause cancer. Over the last 15 years, the use of medical imaging has been rapidly increasing. There have been recent estimates that up to 1.5-2% of all cancers within the US are caused by radiation from CAT (CT) scans.
The purpose of Radiation Passport is to educate about the radiation and cancer risks associated with medical imaging exams and procedures that physicians (and dentists) want you to undergo, to keep track of radiology and imaging-related exams and procedures, and to provide an estimate of risk of developing cancer because of this radiation.
The radiation exposure and associated risk numbers are based on published scientific journal papers, however, are in each case an estimate. There are different methods by which to estimate the associated risk.
- log radiology and imaging-related exams and procedures including the exam/procedure type, date/time, dosage, and notes
- estimate background radiation exposure taking into account location and lifestyle
- includes average dosage values for over 140 exams and procedures and support to enter custom values
- calculates total radiation exposure
- estimates cancer risks (based on radiation exposure) taking into account gender and age at exposure
- displays other common risks for comparison
- check the average dosage and related cancer risks associated with a particular radiology or imaging-related exam or procedure
- graphs show radiation exposure and cancer risks (based on radiation exposure)
- extensive background section with links to relevant studies and reports
- email reports of radiation exposure and related cancer risks in-app
- upgrade to support multiple users
- passcode support keeps medical data secure
- backup/restore support
Note: Radiation Passport supports one user but may be upgraded (in-app) to support two, four, or unlimited users (pro). Download Radiation Passport Pro for unlimited user support.