ChordFlow is a songwriting sketchpad that will help you create amazing chord progressions and melodies for your songs fast and easily.
HOW TO USE IT?
1. Create a chord progression.
2. Draw an arpeggio – the rhythmic and voice pattern for your chords.
3. Compose a melody.
4. Build a complete song adding more section.
5. Save your song, share or export to your favourite DAW as a MIDI file.
- Create chord progression of any length using intuitive chord selector providing a huge choice of chords.
- Move chords around within chord progression using drag and drop gestures.
- Add new chords at the end of the progression or in the middle.
- Make quantized jumps between chords while playing.
- Specify the length and rate of the arpeggio grid. Length defines the number of steps in the sequence and rate define the speed at which the sequence is played.
- Add up to 4 tracks to your arpeggio grid. Each track has it’s color, octave and number of parallel voices.
To edit a track you select it with the track selection button, and then choose the required tool.
- Draw complex curves spanning several rows and columns of the arpeggio grid with just one move with Dots tool
- Draw long horizontal lines with Line tool
- Move entire track along the grid using the move tool
- Clear a region of the selected track with the eraser tool
- Remove the selected track entirely using the trash button
- Use undo/redo buttons to go back and forth in the edits history.
- Set Loop region to repeatedly play only the selected section of your arpeggio.
- Create up to 4 melody tracks.
- Melodies are edited in their own grid, which also has length and rate params as the arpeggio grid.
- Select the root note and the scale for the melody grid. You can also show and hide non-scale notes using the “Chromatic” switch.
- Melody grid features the same collection of drawing tool as the arpeggio grid does.
- While drawing your melody you will see which chords correspond to the specific steps and also which notes of the grid match the notes of the chords.
- You can also set a loop region as in the arpeggio grid view.
- Undo/Redo aslo works the same way as in arpeggio grid.
- A song can contain unlimited number of sections
- Each section has its own chord progression, arpeggio and melody parts
- Add, remove, reorder, rename and clone sections
- Make quantized or immediate jumps between sections while playing.
- Set a song loop mode. Loop one section. Loop entire song. Or play whole song once.
- Control any CoreMIDI compatible app
- Control desktop synths through USB or Wi-Fi
- Control hardware synths
- Specify MIDI destination and channel for each track
- Use ChordFlow as MIDI or Audio sender in Audiobus (http://audiob.us/)
- Play in sync with other apps running on the same device or on other devices in same Wi-Fi network using a new technology, Ableton Link (http://www.ableton.com/link/)
- Share your projects by AirDrop, Mail, Dropbox or any other app supporting sharing .
- Export to Standard MIDI file and open it in the DAW of your choice(Ableton Live, Logic, GarageBand, etc. )
ChordFlow has one built-in synth sound so you can start quickly. But for better results you should use ChordFlow as a MIDI controller with other synth apps. There are plenty of them in the App Store, paid and free. To name a few: GarageBand, Korg Gadget, Korg iM1, Animoog, SampleTank. You can also send MIDI to desktop synth apps like Ableton Live, Logic, Kontakt, etc.
SUPPORT / FEEDBACK
ChordFlow is not developed by a big company. There is only one of me. And I am very interested in making my apps useful and bug-free. So please contact me directly if you have bug reports, suggestions, questions, or just want to say something cool :)
=== ChordFlow project export/import ===
You can now export and share your ChordFlow project files. Go to File menu > Export > ChordFlow project. You will see the standard iOS share view, where you can send your project file by AirDrop, email, dropbox, etc. And you will be able to open the ChordFlow project files that you receive.
If you want to transfer your project from one iDevice to other it is very simple using AirDrop. On one device go to export view and in the AirDrop section select the other device. After the file is transferred, your song will be automatically loaded in the other device.
=== Export to Standard MIDI file ===
It is now possible to export your ChordFlow project to the standard MIDI file. Go to File menu > Export > Standard MIDI file. Choose where you want to send the generated midi files to. Than you can open the exported MIDI file in other iOS app or a desktop DAW like Ableton Live or Logic.
If your ChordFlow project contains more than one section, MIDI export will produce one MIDI file for each section. Each MIDI file will contain the same number of tracks as the section contains. Say, if you have 1 melody track and 2 arpeggio tracks in your section, you will get 3 tracks in the MIDI file.